RULES set 1: The monologue is split into two, and the sentence components are placed individually, one per player, as a round simultaneously, and then the player says their lines one after another. Then another line is placed and the players start from the initial line, and work though to the new line placed, so each time they return to the beginning saying the lines to reach the new ones.
RULES set 2: One player is the placer and one is the reader. The Placer put the whole monologue onto the other play, who then has a minute to orientate themselves and find all the text, and then must say it though without hesitation.
This time Chris printed text out on card and we have evolved to sticky back pads.
I bought Murray in to document it for me, but also so I can be in it myself and then see what it looks like when other people are in it. So in
and out of the experience. Myself and Chris played first, started with Rules where I placed a line component, and Chris says it, and then Chris places a line component and I say it, and then it continues, with us returning to the first line and working through to the new placements.
This was unbearably dull to do. So made it one move is that we each place a line, and then say our lines. This worked better, but not much of a challenge, as it was pretty easy to remember the order. I am starting to think that the Element that it always returns to the beginning of the line and then that is read, is a weak part of the structure. But can’t go only forwards as then their is no accumulation, and the challenge is less. Murray seemed to think it isn’t really visually aesthetic till all the text is placed on the body, it needs a greater number before it becomes of interest to view.
Murray played it with Chris and they did manage to get though ti fairly quickly, but I felt that all our interest flagged with the repetition of returning to the start each time.
Perhaps this may work as an artwork, but it is not a fun or challenging experience. Also the placement of the text, still isn’t that challenging to do and present and decipher. This video is the end when all have been placed.
After the two run throughs,we tried a different structure, picking up on some of the slowness and lack of real challenge. To date I had been writing the numbers on the line, just to really keep them in order, in pen. I came to an idea where one person would place all the text onto another person, so one person was a placer. Then the other person had a minute to orientate where they all were, and then they had to say them as clearly and fast as they could from beginning to end. So there are about 19 lines. This did seem a more challenging experience, and I also found that the numbers became a bit of a focus for achieving the task, so will make them part of the actual component and bring them more to the fore. Chris was really challenged, and it seemed more fun, I wasn’t happy with the turn based aspect that first one person then the other. Need to develop it some more.
After talking it though with both participants, and doing it myself, one way of perhaps breaking the pattern is that there is no real order to the text and it can be said anyway. I am not into this, it is about doing the order, and think that that is the line in the sand for me.